Bell Let’s Talk
FAME is giving family members supporting a loved one with mental illness a chance to share their stories and add to the conversation during Bell Let’s Talk. We encourage members of our community to use our campaign hashtags and materials for the purpose of amplifying the voices of family caregivers.
Download FAME’s Let’s Talk Toolkit and add your voice to the conversation.
One in five Canadians will experience a mental illness in their lifetime. At FAME, we support the other four in that equation: the people who care for loved ones experiencing mental illness.
We believe that discussions of mental health and support remain important throughout the year, not only during one day or week. Bell Let’s Talk is an opportunity to advocate on behalf of family members in the mental health system, and to add the perspective of family caregivers to the broader mental health discussion.
Our #TheOther4 campaign allows family caregivers to show their presence and value in the mental health community. We wish to empower family caregivers to use the moment of Bell Let’s Talk to advocate for the role of family members and family support in the mental health system. At FAME, we are family members, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, friends and loved ones. The support we give and receive is vital for everyone’s mental health.
Family members who support a loved one experiencing mental illness have unique stories to tell. We want to give families an opportunity to share personal messages of support and resilience.
We also want to echo the anti-stigma call of the broader Let’s Talk movement. The challenges experienced by families who support loved ones experiencing mental illness should not be left in silence. Families should feel no shame in talking openly about their experiences and struggles. #FamiliesTalk is an opportunity to give personal and humanizing accounts of the vital support roles provided by families.
Our Toolkit includes two print-outs, one for each of our campaigns. All you need to do is print them out, write in your message, snap a photo and share them on social media, along with the hashtags #TheOther4 or #FamiliesTalk (and, of course, #BellLetsTalk).
Here are some example messages that you can use on your #TheOther4 print-out:
- A Parent
- A Sibling
- A Family Member
- A friend
- The support I provide for my family member is vital.
- The mental health of Canadians depends on the support provided by family members.
- I support my loved one.
- I help my loved one navigate the mental health system.
- I need support to be able to provide care for my loved one.
- I need resources and services to adequately support my loved one.
Here are some example messages that you can use on your #FamiliesTalk print-out:
Mental health support is…
- Educating myself so I can help my loved one navigate the mental health system.
- Attending group meetings so that I can give myself the support I need to help my loved one.
- Talking openly about my family’s challenges and asking members of my community for help.
- Learning about the causes and types of mental illness so that I can understand what my loved one is experiencing.